Thursday, May 19, 2011

Your point being...

Do you ever feel like the people who you never actually talk to, have the most to say about your personality? I think it's a pretty common annoyance for girls. I've been running into it a lot lately and I don't really like the way I've been handling it- I get sassy and say something sarcastic like, "Oh, you know that because we talk all the time and we're such good friends. Thats why you feel qualified to share that with everyone. Oh I get it." And then they stare at me, and I can tell I've hurt their feelings. I correct people in the most rude and uncharitable ways sometimes it really blows my mind. Here's a wise phrase I'm considering tattooing to the palm of my hand...
Once for all, then, a short precept is given you: Love, and do what you will: whether you hold your peace, through love hold your peace; whether you cry out, through love cry out; whether you correct, through love correct; whether you spare, through love do you spare: let the root of love be within, of this root can nothing spring but what is good. -St. Augustine
A lot of times, the root of my speech is pride, not love, and I end up making myself look even more ridiculous than I already do. Pride breeds ignorance, and ignorance breeds a bad day. Love breeds humility, humility breeds joy, joy breeds awesome :) The choice is clear and simple. Root your actions in a true, selfless love for God and your neighbor, then do whatever you want. I know right? I said it was simple, not easy.

I love you guys! How are you doing? Need prayer? Need anything at all? Comment below and my friends and I will storm Heaven for you. Please pray for my friend Brian, he's in basic training right now! He's going to be a chaplain's assistant.

Keep it real,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment