Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Washin' my hands of it

Ugghh! Do you ever look back on the last few days and wonder “how the heck am I still standing here?” I have. Lately, my life is completely BEYOND my control and I’ve faced one depressing revelation after another. At the same time, I feel totally fine. It’s like there’s this crazy storm raging around me and my enemies are coming at me from all sides, but I’m safe in one of those houses made completely out of concrete. I can see everything happening to me, but none of it penetrates my soul. Is that weird? I don’t think so. I think that sometimes, when things don’t work out the way we want them to, we feel obligated (maybe subconsciously) to react, but when you really think about it, you don’t have to. It is what it is, whether or not you form an opinion about it. So why not just be cool?

I watch way more television than I should. Like the CW shows that are all drama and craziness. And whenever something doesn't work out well for one of the main characters, they freak out, cry, get drunk, drive away, crash into a bridge railing and almost drown in a river (that was a scene from One Tree Hill in case you haven’t seen that show). And so I’m sitting there on the couch, watching this all unfold and thinking to myself, “Holy drama, Batman! You’re 17 years old! Get a grip!” I mean really?! I know that some of you have some real tragedies in your lives, and I don’t mean to be insensitive to that at all; it actually helps to illustrate my point.

Tragedy: A loved one passes away unexpectedly.

NOT tragedy: The boy you really like got another girl pregnant.

Tragedy: Your father loses his job and as a result, you lose your home.

NOT tragedy: Your best friend betrays you.

It’s OK to be sad about it, that’s natural. However, underneath that sadness, remember that the Bible says, “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” Weeping may endure for A night. Singular. One night. After that, let joy and healing do their job. God wants us to surrender the real tragedies in our lives, so think how much he wants us to let go of the NOT tragedies as well.
My sister and I have a saying. Whenever something particularly dramatic or disappointing happens, we rub our hand together and say “I’m washing my hands of it. I need not concern myself.” I know it sounds stupid, but it actually helps me. So when your teacher completely roasts you in front of the whole class, or someone you used to be close to starts rumors about you, wash your hands, my friend. You need not concern yourself.
Keep it real,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment