Saturday, April 30, 2011

A little late-night revelation

I'm up super late tonight because I'm a lector at mass tomorrow morning, and I just now remembered to go over my reading. I know I said I'd post about a great new movie today, but I wanted to share this with you instead (and now you'll just have to keep checking back! Is the suspense killing you?):

1 Peter 1:3-9
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,who in his great mercy gave us a new birth to a living hopethrough the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading,kept in heaven for youwho by the power of God are safeguarded through faith,to a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the final time.In this you rejoice, although now for a little whileyou may have to suffer through various trials,so that the genuineness of your faith,more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire,may prove to be for praise, glory, and honorat the revelation of Jesus Christ.Although you have not seen him you love him;even though you do not see him now yet believe in him,you rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy,as you attain the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

This. Is some beautiful writing. Did it make your heart burn within you? If it didn't then I suggest you read it again, more slowly. This is how I know that Jesus must have been the most wonderful person ever. He was the Word made flesh. There are so many parts of the Word that are absolutely beautiful, like this one. There are passages that explain emotions that I can never put into words. There are also parts of it that are really intimidating, and mysterious. Since all of these adjectives (beautiful, loquacious, intimidating, mysterious) can be applied to the Word, then they can also be applied to the Word made flesh. Jesus. So He must have been beautiful, loquacious, intimidating, and mysterious. He must have made peoples' hearts burn within them. I just love being a Lector. It forces me to look deeply into scripture. I think I've discovered a new hobby. How great would it be to feel my heart burn every morning? Pretty great. Any ideas as to where to start? Leave me a comment!! Whats your favorite chapter or verse?

Much love, everyone!! It's Devine Mercy Sunday! Pope John Paul II is being beatified today!! Party on!!

Keep it real,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment